OXFORD INVENTORS MEETUP
7:00 pm Arrival
7:15 pm Talk
7:45 pm Q&A
8:15 pm Social / refreshments
9:00 pm Lighthouse pub
“How can lasers turn new product ideas into 3D objects?”
by Dave MacLellan & Alex Berry
Do you have inventive ideas for products that are hard to turn into objects?
Do you know how lasers can be used to realise 3D designs in 2019?
Can 3D printing turn your dreams into reality?
The laser was invented in 1960, one year before the silicon chip.
• Industrial lasers are well-established tools for manufacturing, and have come out of the lab and into the home and workshop.
• Modern lasers are reliable, safe and easy to use.
• Recent improvements in cost and efficiency have transformed the availability of affordable lasers for welding, cutting, drilling & marking a wide range of materials.
• Lasers are also driving the revolution of 3D printing in metals.
DAVE MACLELLAN, Exec. Director of the Association of Industrial Laser Users (AILU), presents the wide range of applications which are achieved using lasers. Case studies of products and components made by lasers are presented.
ALEX BERRY, Director of Sutrue, studied Architectural Design before inventing and developing automatic stitching (suturing) devices which are used in surgery.
Alex will present how 3D printing (in plastic and metal) has allowed him to compress the time and cost of conventional manufacturing and allowed rapid development of a series of iterative prototypes.
Following a Q&A session with Alex and Dave, the second half of the evening will be an informal chat where you can meet:
• Fellow inventors of new products
• Startup entrepreneurs
• Angel investors
• Prospective suppliers
It will be a chance to meet private individuals with ‘world-beating’ highly inventive ideas for new commercial products, who are in need business partners.
It will also be a chance to swap ideas and general advice in a friendly, informal but professional environment and to chat informally with Dave and Alex about your particular circumstances.
We look forward to seeing you!